Monday, May 4, 2009

Day 1




Today was my first day in Ms. Hildebrand's Second Grade Classroom. I went to Karl Methven's house at 7:30 am to walk over to the Andover Elementary School with his kids. The first thing the students did was write down what they did over the weekend and once they finished that they were given a math worksheet. I sat at the round table in the back of the classroom and worked with two girls on the worksheet. When everyone completed the worksheet we went over the answers on the board. The next assignment was working with money. I walked around the classroom helping the students who were stuck on problems. Next came snack time. Everyone ate their snack while Ms. Hildebrand read aloud the highlight of each students weekend, which they wrote on a paper in the beginning of class. The students had to guess which student they thought the story belonged to. After snack we traveled across the hall to Mr. Jensen's Second Grade Classroom. In his class the students were given 3 rocks to examine with a partner. They had microscopes to look through and could rub them up against each other. The students tried to figure out where the rocks came from, which one was the hardest and which one was the softest, and what type of rocks they are. I walked around the classroom and tried to give the kids hints and spark some ideas as to what they thought about the rocks. After science in Mr. Jensen's class, we went to the Library. I sat with the kids and listened to the librarian read a book aloud. After, the students could check out a new book for themselves, if they returned their old book. Then, we walked back up to Mr. Jensen's classroom and finished talking about rocks and i cleaned up all the materials. Lunch time was next. The students are given from 11:00 to 11:30 for lunch and then recess is from 11:30 to 12:00. At recess i played "doggies" with most of the girls and then "restaurant." After recess we came in and listened to Ms. Hildebrand read aloud while sitting in a circle eating a snack. Then, we went back into Mr. Jensen's class where the students finished writing a fairy tale with a partner and began to draw pictures that go along with their stories. I worked with Kathryn and Ryan on their two separate stories. I helped Katharine organize her ideas so her story would make sense and edited her story. Ryan lost his story, so he dictated to me what he wanted his story to say and i wrote it down. Then at around 1:00 we went back to Ms. Hildebrand'c classroom for quiet reading. I sat in the hallway with Dj, Aiden, and Todd, who read aloud to me, to practice changing their of tone when reading dialogue. After reading, the students got ready to go home and sat at their desks to play a game before the bell rang for dismissal.  
At 2:45 when i left the school, i was exhausted! I could not believe how tiring it was to be in school with Second Graders all day. Though, now that the first day is over and i know what to expect, i look forward to going tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Teaching little kids is not an easy job. I remember doing what you are doing now in college for the entire winter/spring of my senior year. There were some days when I felt as though I couldn't even walk to the rink for practice. However, watching the kids grow during the time you are there will give you a lot of extra energy as the day goes on. Keep it up! Christina Dotchin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trenny! It sounds like you'll have a lot of adventures over these next few weeks! Ms. Hildebrand was actually my 2nd grade teacher when I was in Elementary School! You are definitely learning from one of the very best! :) Hope you have fun! I'll be excited to follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the good work, Trenny!
    Britta is really enjoying having you in her classroom!
    Thanks for all your energy - and have fun!
    Heide

    ReplyDelete